When it comes to running a successful jewelry business, one of the biggest challenges store owners face is maintaining a consistent stream of new and existing customers through the door. One convenient solution is as close as the back room when equipped with such tools as a high-quality jewelry steam cleaner and a knowledge of proper cleaning techniques.
Complimentary jewelry cleaning is a proven “Value Added” strategy that will motivate your current and future customer base to visit the store, resulting in increased client satisfaction and potential sales. The process also provides the store owner with the opportunity to educate the customer and further develop that important level of trust.
Jewelry Cleaning Facts for the Customer:
- Due to the skin oils our bodies produce and the everyday activities that attract grime, the natural beauty of a stone or metal can ultimately become dull.
- To avoid this, it is recommended to have prized possessions professionally cleaned several times a year, especially for older pieces.
- It’s important for the jeweler to evaluate the condition of the piece and determine the best cleaning process as this varies depending on the types of stone.
A & K Jewelers, diamond professionals since 1949, is a family-owned business in Stoneham, Massachusetts that is co-owned by the founder’s two sons, Rob Algiers and Paul Algiers Jr. The store sells and repairs a variety of jewelry and in addition, offers free jewelry cleaning to all of their customers, both new and returning. “About 75% of the people that come into our store get their jewelry cleaned on a regular basis and are loyal customers,” states Algiers Jr.
In order to thoroughly clean jewelry, there are four basic steps to follow:
- If the jewelry has prongs, check to see if any are worn and that all gemstones are secure. The piece may require some repair before cleaning.
- Soak the piece in an ultrasonic cleaner, a device that operates on ultrasound vibrations in fluid, to “melt” away grime and remove stubborn stains. This process will eliminate some of the residue but most importantly, it “loosens” the dirt prior to the steam process.
- Hold the piece with tongs and blast away the remaining debris and layers of chemicals with a high-quality jewelry steam cleaner such as the Reliable i600A.
To achieve optimal results, the i600A produces 65 PSI of steam pressure and reaches temperatures up to 221⁰ F at the tip, sanitizing and polishing the finest of jewelry. Reliable’s i600A also offers a sleek stainless steel tank and is compact in size, suitable for any workshop counter. The quick 15-20 minute heat up time and continuous steam for up to 6 hours provides the busy jeweler with an efficient and effective cleaning process.
- Following the steam cleaning, polish the piece so that it shines and sparkles leaving you with a highly satisfied customer.
Algiers Jr. emphasized the importance of owning a high-end steam cleaner, “Every good jeweler must have a quality steam cleaner such as the Reliable i600A — it should be one of the first things you purchase when opening a store. The steam provides quick yet powerful results providing you with an easy way to please your customers which keeps them coming back.”